[math4] Fwd: [support-gang] "Teaching for Understanding" (drill+kill yes, but then construct..)

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Sat Sep 5 12:23:23 EDT 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Caroline Meeks <caroline at solutiongrove.com>
Date: Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 12:22 PM
Subject: Re: [support-gang] "Teaching for Understanding" (drill+kill yes,
but then construct..)
To: "Community Support Volunteers -- who help respond to \"help AT
laptop.org\"" <support-gang at lists.laptop.org>

thanks Adam, here is the exact quote:
"If computers were used in ways that allowed students to explore
mathematics, rather then simply to drill math facts, then "computer use is
positively associated with student performance," meaning the students using
computers for exploring did better on tests then students who did not use
computers, or who did not use them in an open ended way." (p. 9)

On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 11:42 AM, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:

>   Subject: [math4] Resource on using technology in educaiton  Date: Sat, 5
> Sep 2009 11:30:24 -0400  From: Caroline Meeks <caroline at solutiongrove.com><caroline at solutiongrove.com>  To:
> fourthgrademath at lists.sugarlabs.org
>
> I am taking "Teaching for Understanding" this semester and this reading
> stands out as a good introduction for those of you creating activities for
> 4th grade math.  It covers the debates on technology in schools, provides
> pointers to good resources and summarizes research. For instance
> improvements in math outcomes is only associated with increased computer
> usage when computers are used for more then drill and practice and offer
> opportunities to explore math concepts.
>
>  Zucker, A.A. (2008) Chps. 1 & 2 in Transforming Schools with Technology,
> Harvard
>
> Education Press, Cambridge, 1-26, 27-49
>
>  Let me know if you want me to keep an eye out for more readings that are
> relevant to 4th grade math.
>
>  Thanks,
> Caroline
> --