[math4] Math project # 4.N.7 - Recognize classes

Doug Glenn dglenn99 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 20:11:35 EDT 2009

Greetings,

I am volunteering to take this particular project. It has all the
appearances of something I can do, and something I went through
recently in school.  I have 25 years of experience in IT, primarily
desktop/server administration and I am currently on sabbatical.  I had
reached a dead end in IT having sinned by becoming specialized in zero
touch deployments and customizing/creating MSI installation packages
for Enterprise level deployments on thousands of PCs.  At least if I
wanted to find a job locally. I have hacked a few programs together
using Python previously and look forward to doing more work with it.

Now I am midway through a BS degree in Informatics, and looking for
projects that interest me and hone skills I have not used as much
previously such as programming with Python.  Is there an area where I
can more of a summary of expectations for this particular section?  I
had to take three semesters of Math just to get back up to speed
before I took my first pre-requisite Math course in Modeling in
Algebra, now I am beginning my course on statistics and probabilities.
 Everything is fairly fresh in my mind and this project would help
cement some of the basics deep into my skull as I call upon them here
to write something to teach with.

During my first semester brushing up on HS level Math, I had a very
interesting teacher who taught me some interesting, yet easy ways to
get up to speed, one of which was factoring.  My teacher also
programmed a little, so we chatted numerous times since that class
talking computers and teaching methods.  He would be delighted to give
me a hand, and so both of us will work on trying to get make it
interesting, challenging and above all, fun.

I have been trying to plow through the last couple months of mail in
the list trying to get a handle on how things are progressing.  One
item mentioned was an API.  I would like to find it and see what has
already been done with it.  I'd also like to see if there is a common
set of classes people are going to use, etc. It would be great if
there was a common set of classes, declared global variable names,
etc.  Has this been done?

Where also would I find all existing source code for these projects?
Who is writing up the documentation on the API and classes?  The more
information I can find, the better.

Thanks to all in advance!

--
Doug Glenn