[math4] pure python may be a bad idea

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Mar 30 18:02:37 EDT 2009

On Mon, 30 Mar 2009, Christian Horne wrote:

> ... and why?
> because python is relatively slow.
> i'm not saying that python in general is bad, but everything that can be
> coded as a C/C++ PYModule probably should be, as python is noticably slower.
>
> i can say this for sure, not just because of all the places you hear that
> interpreted is slower (and i'm not saying they're wrong) but because
> XFCE runs at least 2x faster on my XO than sugar does.

Reason #1 for Python: kids can edit the activity on the fly using Pippy.
To me, that ability is important.

Reason #2 for Python: coding in Python has a lower barrier to entry than
coding in C.

Reason #3 for Python: cross-platform.  Ultimately, I'd like to see Mongo
running on Windows, outside of Sugar.

My $0.02.

--g

--
Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
   [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]