[math4] Learning in software

Karlie Robinson karlie_robinson at webpath.net
Tue Mar 24 17:25:29 EDT 2009

Kathy Pusztavari wrote:
>  Hi, I'm just curious as to what is motivating people like Greg D. to
> tackle
> this.  Do you guys have kids?
I do have children - two boys age 4 and 5, but that's not what motivates
me at least not entirely.
You see, I know my children will have the benefit of an education - yes
public school, but also through activities we do as a family.

I'm drawn to the XO and OLPC because it pushes technology for the good
of all.  Yes, there is benefit to some geek somewhere doing things just
to see if it can be done, but personal victories are just that
personal.  They do eventually make their way through the Open Source
community, but the work done here at Math4 has direct impact on someone
who needs tools to better their life.

I'm not a die hard, push them till the drop type mom either.  I simply
understand that much of what a child learns is through play and through
experiences.

It's about paying attention to what catches their attention and adding a
little bit to it.  Simple things like "what-cha looking at?"  Or
explaining 1/2 as we measure pancake mix.

My husband, Todd, and I see the XO as a tool to help a child gain
mastery.  That one extra thing that takes a daunting task and makes
learning enjoyable.

Here's an example...

Quintin is my 4 year old.  He is 42 inches tall.  The pool at the high
school is 42 inches deep in the shallow end.  We didn't sign him up for
swim lessons with Clayton, his brother, because we knew Q couldn't touch
the bottom (not if he wanted his head above water that is).

Instead we also registered for Family swim on another night when we
could all get in the pool and play.
As parents, we understand that everything is more enjoyable without a
cling-on so we put Quin in a flotation suit (cross between a swim suit
and a life jacket) for family swim in hopes that we wouldn't have claw
marks on our skin when we got out of the pool.

Guess who's the swimmer in our family?  You're right, Quin!

It took him a few minutes to get comfortable but then he doggy paddled
all over the pool.  Back, forth, shallow, deep.  You name it, he swam
there.  At the second session he was doing tricks like spinning and back
stroke.  Week three he was enrolled in swimming lessons.