[math4] Learning in software

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:00:45 EDT 2009

The usual approach to educational software is to code up a drill with
some eye candy for each topic in the curriculum, and just have the
students run the results. Another approach is to have the children
teach the computer how to do the math. Everybody agrees that the best
way to learn a subject is to teach it. Several programming languages
have been used from third grade up for such purposes. We can provide a
generic framework in which teachers and children can plug in numeric
types and ranges, functions, algorithms, and so on to create drills or
games for themselves on any arithmetic topic, and can implement each
function out of simpler components, such as single digits. Or we could
create digital Cuisenaire rods, and use the entire literature of
exercises for them.

At a higher level, I have a book on computer design in which students
write programs to simulate bits in registers and the microcode for
arithmetic instructions. Start with a single bit add+carry circuit,
and work your way on up to IEEE floating point or even further, to
pipelined vector processing or other advanced architectures. (The
language compiles to wiring lists for generating ICs.)

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)