[math4] Hi

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 02:55:43 EDT 2009

I just signed up for this list. First, I should mention the Earth
Treasury Digital Textbook project,

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Creating_textbooks

Second, I and others at Earth Treasury have begun work on software for
learning math at various grade levels, so we will have various
projects to share with you. Computers for education goes back a long
way for me, to when I first heard of O. K. Moore's Edison Talking
Typewriter project for teaching two-year-olds to read and write.

My personal project is creating some new versions of Turtle Art to
teach various parts of math and Computer Science. It takes a little
bit of understanding of Sugar programming and packaging, a little bit
of Python, and a little bit of Inkscape to make each version. So far I
know how to do Euclidean plane geometry, plane analytic geometry, a
little group theory, and how to build a toy Turing machine in Turtle
Art with the addition of just one or two tiles each. Turtle Art
programming is constructing trees, not writing code. Most programming
languages work by translating code to a parse tree for execution or
compiling to machine language. Using a language-independent
representation of programs has many advantages.

Walter Bender is similarly extending Turtle Art for other purposes.

I'll go invite some people to join us.

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)