[math4] Project Idea - Tetris Like Game

Doug dpk3062 at rit.edu
Sat Mar 21 21:30:00 EDT 2009

Hello everyone,

I was playing random games from the Ubuntu repositories and found a
Tetris like game called Cuyo.  What is different about Cuyo is that it
is more about matching different types and amount of blocks than just
filling in rows.  I know there are a lot of other Tetris clones that do
the same thing, but this one got me thinking about the math4olpc
project.  Most of the listed activities can be done as Tetris/Cuyo like
levels.

The basic idea would be that there are number blocks, operation blocks,
and maybe equal blocks.  In order to beat the level, the screen would
have to be cleared of all starting blocks.  The different levels use
different types of block structures.  4.N.12 could require linking 1-5
number blocks, 2+ operation blocks, and one equal block.  4.P.5 could
have apple blocks, each costing a certain amount of money.  Linking a
certain sized block of apple blocks with their cost amount would clear
that group.  4.G.5 could have ||, =, and + blocks.  4.M.2 would have
unit blocks, operation blocks, and number blocks.  Dropping a 'hours to
minutes' unit block on a built '1 -> 60' equation-like group would
result in that block group being cleared.

With this type of a game, there are a large about of possibilities
depending on how creative people are in comming up with block types.
Cuyo even has a crossed Arachnoid and Tetris level.

How about it?

~dpk3062