[math4] Coding platforms

Rita Freudenberg rita at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Mar 18 04:30:44 EDT 2009

Frederick Grose wrote:
> Squeak, http://squeakland.org/, and Etoys apps can also run on all the
> platforms and soon on web browsers as well.
>
> http://n2.nabble.com/Etoys-packaging-(was:-SugarPlatform-0.84.0-on-Mandriva)-tc2485667.html
> <http://n2.nabble.com/Etoys-packaging-%28was:-SugarPlatform-0.84.0-on-Mandriva%29-tc2485667.html>

Here is a little project done with Etoys simulating a "shake box"
(Schüttelbox in German).
http://tinyurl.com/schuettelbox

In primary school the kids get a box with two rooms and a small opening
between the rooms. Then you get 10 mumbles, put them into the box and
shake it. You can then open one room, count the mumbles and reason, how
many mumbles are in the other room.
Ok, while I'm writing this I realise, that it is too easy for fourth
graders. But I will send you the link anyway, maybe you will be inspired
by it and have ideas, what you can  do with Etoys.

Greetings,
Rita

P.S. I assume you have to change the language setting to english by
clicking on the flag on the top of the screen. Then there remain some
words untranslated (because these are scripts created by the user:
schachtel - box
schütteln - shake

springe - jump
kugel - mumble
zählen - count
füllen - fill

>     --Fred
>
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Greg Dekoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com
> <mailto:gdk at redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Shawn Willden wrote:

>     > One thing that we should think about, to help motivate teacher
>     participation,
>     > is how we can deliver the project applications on other platforms --
>     > primarily Windows.
>     >
>     > I understand the controversy with regard to porting Sugar to
>     Windows, but I
>     > think we'll get a LOT more interest and support from teachers if
>     what they're
>     > working on is something they can use in their own classrooms
>     which, at least
>     > for the teachers where I live, means on computers running Windows.
>     >
>     > Is there a reasonably easy way to ensure that math4 applications
>     can run on
>     > both the real target environment and on Windows?  Is there some
>     subset of the
>     > Sugar APIs we can use to make this easy?  Is being limited to
>     that subset
>     > going to unacceptably constrain the math4 apps?
>     >
>     > Perhaps we can explore other options, like Sugar on a Linux VM
>     that's
>     > relatively easy to distribute and install?
>     >
>     > I'm not sure what the options are, but I am sure that enabling the
>     > participating teachers to use the math4 apps with their own
>     students will
>     > really help the project.
>
>     This is, frankly, a tricky problem, and different people will give you
>     dramatically different opinions.  Here are my two principles for
>     Mongo:
>
>     1. I choose python because it runs everywhere.
>
>     2. Sugarization can and should be optional.  (Right now, Mongo isn't
>     Sugarized at all.)
>
>     So, Mongo should run on Windows.  I would encourage others to make
>     sure
>     that they choose Python apps that can run on Windows.
>
>     --g
>
>     --
>     Got an XO that you're not using?  Loan it to a needy developer!
>       [[ http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO_Exchange_Registry ]]

Rita Freudenberg
FIN-ISG
Otto-von-Guericke-Universität Magdeburg