[math4] FourthGradeMath Digest, Vol 2, Issue 15

Karlie Robinson karlie_robinson at webpath.net
Sat Mar 14 16:09:02 EDT 2009

Jason Rock wrote:
> My personal opinion on this is that you might be simplifying it too
> much.  It is exceptionally easy to create a "flash card" system for
> learning multiplication tables, but I know for sure that that didn't
> work for me and it doesn't really teach multiplication.  What worked
> for me was thinking about repeated addition (at least to start off,
> then I memorized by use).  I think most people would say that the best
> way for children to learn single digit multiplication *is*
> memorization, and that may well be true, but I think it is important
> that we don't overlook some better way of doing it.
>
> And these discussions need not slow down work.  I am all for a "flash
> card" set of multiplication tables.  I just think it is also important
> to show that 3*2 = 3+3 = 2+2+2 so the student can appreciate how
> addition and multiplication connect.
>
> Jason
+1 Jason -

In my reply to Christian Horne yesterday I addressed the learning style
issue.  In fact I thought it was so important that I updated the Math4
wiki page to include just what you're getting at.  (though maybe it
needs more details?)

When getting started with this project, one thing Greg insisted on is
that I read "Disrupting Class" by Clayton Christiansen. While I'm having
trouble finding the time to sit and read, what I have gotten so far is
that education needs to be dynamic.

Especially where the XO is concerned, otherwise we're not providing
teachers and students with new tools to teach and learn, but instead a
cookie cutter of what we're currently doing.  Including the good, and
the bad parts of contemporary educational models.

I'm sure there are best practices in education, and methods that reach
the largest number of children with the greatest of ease, but we can not
forget the minority of students who need alternate methods.

We also have to remind ourselves...
... that there might be wrong ways to do things, but there aren't right
ways to do things.
... that our audience is larger than the children we think we know about.
... that we're just getting started.
... that when all is said and done, we'll need multiple activities for
every concept point and then there might still be children who seek help
elsewhere.

~Karlie