[math4] FourthGradeMath Digest, Vol 2, Issue 15

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 14:03:58 EDT 2009

Hi Caroline, Christian, & list:
I'm Frederick Grose (FGrose), a facilitator for the OLPC Rochester, NY
grassroots group [1] and the RIT Honors Seminar, Developing for the OLPC XO,
[2] which has adopted *some portion* of the 4th-Grade Math project. [3]

This mailing list and project has attracted good attention, and so, the
desires for many, yet-to-be-fulfilled needs are converging here.

Some background on its short history is available here. [4]

The RIT Honors Seminar held its introductory session on Friday 13 March
2009, [5] and will be a learning space for a number of goals described by
Professor Stephen Jacobs here. [6, 7] Community involvement is one of those
goals, so we will work to integrate those willing to mentor students in the
seminar.  There is lots of potential for spawning learning collaborations.

Professor Eric Grace is a New York State USA certified K-12 educator, and
will provide direct guidance to the seminar on teaching & learning issues,
but needn't work alone, for certainly, additional educator engagement is a
primary goal of the Sugar Labs Education Team. [8]  One might consider the
4th-Grade Math project a practical, distributed effort at advancing the
overarching educational goals.

Others should add to the list of goals, and we all should consider ways to
effectively collaborate on the needs.

Those who are eager to start coding, or designing, or documenting, or ...
may read the list archive, [9] for ideas, and ping others for specifics, or
just begin, and share their efforts to attract collaborators.

Greg Dekoenigsberg and Karlie Robinson are Fedora Ambassadors and are
founders and leading diplomats for the 4th Grade Math project.  The
Ambassadors are custodians of the
OLPC North American Developers Program for 6 months. [10]  Karlie's presence
in Rochester has been catalytic for the effort.

Thank you for your interest and contributions!  May the collaborations grow
and deepen!

       --Fred

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Rochester,_NY
[2] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/RIT_honors_seminar,_developing_for_the_OLPC_XO