[math4] RIT and the Fedora Developers XO Program

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Mon Mar 2 12:33:54 EST 2009

> My hope is once we have a working example it will be easier to tap the
> collegiate resources.

There are working examples of hackathons/sprints which included college
students (see http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jams, the first one was
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Game_Jam_Boston_June_2007)

Jerome Gotangco and I are working on what we're calling an Activity
development sprint, http://sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_development_sprint,
which is 4 weeks, part-time, with regular feedback loops between
teachers and developers (think of it as a mini-Scrum) and has training
built in. Ideal for uni classes.

We're making a process that will work for the deployment (his half of
the project, in the Philippines) and the developers (my half of the
project, uni students in the US) in this specific case. We're not
focused on the process; we'll do whatever it takes to get that first
project out the door and successful. Inasmuch as what we do ends up
being useful to others, great - and we're happy to share / help people
run their own in parallel, if others are interested, just ask.

--Mel