[math4] Activity: adding/subtracting whole numbers

John Posner jjposner at optimum.net
Fri Aug 28 13:34:01 EDT 2009

Edward Cherlin wrote:
>> I am referring to the work of Caleb Gattegno, starting with the book
>> that is included in every box of Cuisenaire rods. See also Gattegno's
>> books
>>
>> For the teaching of elementary mathematics
>> Qualitative arithmetic: The study of numbers from 1 to 20
>> What We Owe Children The Subordination of Teaching to Learning
>> Now Johnny can do arithmetic
>> Mathematics with Numbers in Color, Book A
>> The common sense of teaching mathematics
>> Modern mathematics with numbers in colour
>> Know Your Children as They Are

Sure thing. I just pulled "Qualitative Arithmetic" and "Mathematics with
Numbers in Color, Book A" off my book shelf. I also have a couple of
other books that came with my original (c. 1969) set of Cuisenaire Rods,
including the very nice "Using the Cuisenaire Rods -- A Photo/Text Guide
for Teachers", by Jessica Davidson.

I was a big fan of the New Math in the 60s and 70s, but my career in
math education got detoured into software technical writing. So now my
educational work is on the hobby level, not the professional level. It's
certainly fair to say that the Cuisenaire Rods are the basic inspiration
for my BlockHead activity (<plug>and also the similar, not-yet-Sugarized
program "FracBars" at www.jjposner.net</plug>).

Best,
John