[math4] Activity: adding/subtracting whole numbers

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Thu Aug 27 14:55:33 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 1:35 PM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com> wrote:
> Hey David,
>
> On 27 Aug 2009, at 18:29, David Farning wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Gary C Martin<gary at garycmartin.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi John,

>>> Think there is a server/network issue. I can't get to
>>> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/ just now. I have emailed the Bernie and
>>> the
>>> systems at sl.org mail-list a short time ago.
>>
>> FWIW, as far as problems go.... Needing another server (which Bernie
>> is adding today) is a pretty nice problem to have.  Could you try
>> again in a few hours.
>
> Thanks, yes will do. I managed to upload Physics-3, but ASLO is acting
> rather odd, at least from the Developer pages side – lot's of missing
> graphics/thumbs/icons, project pages missing when you try to access them.
> Luckily the end user facing side seems to look OK.

That is exactly the issues:( The developer portion of the site
bypasses memcache to insure that any changes you make are visible
immediately after you make them.  The ratio of end user to develop
pages viewed makes this a pretty sane choice.

>> For you networking types, a.sl.o is a python web application which is
>> backed by a mysql database.  To improve read performance, we use
>> memcached ( http://www.danga.com/memcached/ ).  But, writes still need
>> to access the db which tends to time out under current loads .
>
> Ouch, yea could well be what I'm seeing then (random db timeouts).
yep.

>> If anyone is interested in helping out....
>

> I have been known to dabble in mysql in a past life... but think I have a
> too much else on my plate to commit more at the moment. Hmm, I wonder how
> Mozilla have scaled their Addons set-up?

addon.mozilla.org runs on a cluster of 32 machines!  They are split up
as web servers, download servers, database servers, and memcache
servers.

Wes is working on helping document and scale up a.sl.o as part of his
current co-op.  My guess is that he will not turn down help:)

david