[math4] Getting sugar environment on Ubuntu 8.10

John Posner jjposner at snet.net
Sat Aug 1 12:40:36 EDT 2009

>> I've installed a brand new Ubuntu 8.10 on my HP Pavilion dv2000 laptop.
>> According to
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Community/Distributions/Ubuntu, I should be
>> able to install the "sugar" and "sugar-activities" packages as follows:
>>
>>    sudo apt-get install sugar sugar-activities
>>
>> ... but I get this error:
>>
>>    E: Couldn't find package sugar
>>

> Do you have the "universe" repository enabled?  Check your "Software Sources"
> utility and make sure you have all of the checkboxes on the "Ubuntu Software"
> tab checked, especially universe.
>
>         Shawn

Thanks, Shawn. I *did* have the "universe" repository enabled, but
apparently it wasn't up-to-date. The Software Sources utility prompted
me to perform the update. Now, apt-get has successfully located and
installed the sugar and sugar-activities packages.

(Curiously, the Synaptic Package Manager still failed to find "sugar".)

-John

Database version: 6.12950