[math4] Using Schools.sugarlabs.org for Math4

David Farning dfarning at sugarlabs.org
Fri Apr 24 14:57:42 EDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 6:15 AM, Karlie Robinson
<karlie_robinson at webpath.net> wrote:
> David Farning wrote:
>>
>> Hey Karlie,
>>
>> Looks like math4 is off to a good start:)
>>
>> I was wondering if you would be interested in using the Sugar Labs
>> Moodle server at schools.sugarlabs.org as a point of collaboration for
>> math4.
>>
>> Most of my research has indicated that teachers prefer to use the
>> forums and other features of moodle rather then mailing lists and irc
>> for working online.  I don't want to fragment the community, but I
>> would be good if teachers could use tools with which they are most
>> familiar.
>>
>> david
>>

> Thanks for your suggestion, Dave.
> The 4th Grade Math project is moving a little slowly at times, but we
> continue to make progress.
> Moodle is new to me so I'll probably need a little time to adjust to the
> system before I suggest the group move there.  I did CC the list in case
> anyone on the team has an opinion they'd like to share.
> From my point of view, there are two factors at work here.
> First is we're working closely with many first time Open source developers
> and I feel it's important for them to get comfortable with IRC, Mailing
> lists and traditional Open Source Development connection points.
> Second, we are beginning a push to bring educators into our mix and it's
> important that they feel as comfortable as possible with the process.

Continue doing what ever works for you.

> So if you'll allow me to contact you with questions as we figure things out,
> I'd appreciate any expertise you can lend.

I am far from an expert... but I bet we could round some up if you needed them.

david

FWIW, I am about to launch an assault against the use of IRC as an
inter project communication mechanism:)
Sugar collaboration is based on telepathy and jabber.
Telepathy and jabber work.
Time to start practicing what we preach!