[math4] FourthGradeMath Digest, Vol 3, Issue 5

John Posner jjposner at snet.net
Fri Apr 3 20:45:12 EDT 2009

Hello,

 >> 1. Pick *one* 4th grade math concept to make *awesome* from
 >> the curriculum
 >> framework, and claim it on the wiki:
 >> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Math4Team/Resources/Curriculum_Chart

[I'm a newbie to this list, and pretty much ignorant of the ground rules.]

I wrote a wxPython application, "FracBars", that addresses this one:

  4.N.18  Use concrete objects and visual models to add and subtract common
fractions.

It's available at:

  http://www.geocities.com/jjphoogrp/

I'm reluctant to formally throw my hat in the ring -- at least not until
getting some indication that what I've done is appropriate.

Another of the applications, "BlockHead" -- written in Python/Tkinter, is
demo'ed on ShowMeDo:

    http://showmedo.com/videos/?author=2039

BlockHead might address, in part, this one:

  4.N.14  Demonstrate in the classroom an understanding of and the ability
to use the conventional algorithms for addition and subtraction (up to
five-digit numbers), and multiplication (up to three digits by two digits).

What should I do (if anything)?

Thanks,
John Posner

Database version: 5.12110