[math4] 3. Personal Letter to Educators (Karlie Robinson)

Karlie Robinson karlie_robinson at webpath.net
Thu Apr 2 16:08:05 EDT 2009

Inline

Eric Grace wrote:
> I will probably be a good resource for advocating and connecting our
> efforts to local school districts and have been developing some of my
> contacts in both RCSD, Sodus School District, and local non-profit
> organizations.
>
> We could strategically plan a regional dissemination of OLPC efforts
> or just shotgun requests and see what takes.  Either or both
> approaches are fine with me to start.

I do have my notes posted from EdTech day in Ithaca [1], and I'd be
happy to take the show on the road - especially close to home (easier to
schedule around if I'm not gone all day - ya know?!)

> Each school district's interests and negotiations will differ, but it
> would be good to identify our goals, efforts, outcomes, and potential
> costs involved.

Right now, we should focus on finding educators and coders who want to
give time to get an XO.  We don't usually have such generous terms to
offer volunteers so we should take advantage of Dave's pallet of XO's
before they're gone.

Especially K-12 Educators - see my reasons below.

> We can use the XO's as is & test any new developments we want to get
> feedback.  I see three different models to pitch each with
> specific/individual Policies, Procedures, & Plan/Framework development
> needed for:
>
> 1. "XO Lab on a Cart" -
>
> 2. "XO Lab After School Program" -
>
> 3. "XO School Lab" -
>

> Thoughts & feedback?

The issue of getting all the schools on board with XO's will be like
moving a mountain.  Not that it can't be done, but the progress could be
very slow.  We can grease the wheels if XOs are popping up all over the
place.  Teaching via the XO much less abstract when educators have had a
chance to manipulate the machine with their own hands.

The biggest barrier to US Schools going with XO roll outs is that the
machines aren't a consumer product.  As such, the schools need to think
about how they can meet the 5 core principles [2] of the OLPC Project.

In my opinion, the biggest barriers are 1 and 3, Child Ownership and
Saturation.

The good news is that Sugar is becoming more independent of the XO
itself schools will be able to use the software in anyway they choose.
(Sugar on a stick and the upstream integration with Fedora will make any
PC a Sugar factory)  With that said, your ideas will become the ideas
that bridge traditional EdTech with 1:1 computing.

~Karlie
[1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Webpath/EdTech - ODP file is in
the links at the bottom
[2] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Core_principles/lang-en