[Dextrose] Sugarizing applications

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Sun Sep 30 14:59:43 EDT 2012

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 6:19 PM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 20:27 +0200, Ruben Rodríguez wrote:
>> After some tests I've made a template for sugarizing applications into
>> activities, based on libsugarize.so
>> (http://download.sugarlabs.org/services/libsugarize/), with some
>> provisions to make it platform independent.
>>
>> The template activity is at http://people.sugarlabs.org/quidam/Sugarize-42.xo
>>
>> It can be used to run any graphical application as an activity, taking
>> care of runing it fullscreen and setting the X properties for the
>> window (_SUGAR_ACTIVITY_ID and _SUGAR_BUNDLE_ID) so it closes
>> properly. Of course, it does not handle anything related to journal
>> integration, sharing, etc.
>>
>> The example in the template runs xterm.
>>
>> Regards,
>
> Hi Ruben,
>
> For further review can you post this to the sugar-devel list also?

Let's handle this responsibly :) Which is not necessarily easy :(

When we talk about working upstream on issues like this we are dealing
with three different issues on three different levels.
1. Technical. I.E. does it work and does it work well?
2. Philosophical. Should 'pure' Sugar be diluted by 'diluted'
Sugarized activities?
3. Idealist/Business. Should the OLPC/Sugar ecosystem be distinct from
the non-Sugar ecosystem?

>From what I have seen let's follow Ruben's lead on this. From his
years working on Trisquel his free software and community credentials
are excellent. Over the past several months he has shown that he can
balance that idealism with the pragmatism necessary to deliver good
products at a good price in a reasonable time frame.

Dave