[Dextrose] Defining Dextrose 4 code workflow

Anish Mangal anish at sugarlabs.org
Fri Oct 5 02:39:17 EDT 2012

Hi,

I think shifting to a code-repo based workflow has been long overdue.

Advantages:
* Easier to collaborate with upstream. They can actually view the code
in it's intelligible form, rather than discrete patches.
* Easier for deployments to see the code.
* Perhaps better integration with automated build workflow
* The pros that Ajay mentioned.

Challenges:
* Cost of switching. Something that the project managers need to analyze.
* The question of different features for customers remains unanswered
to an extent.
*a. Do we start to maintain different branches for codebases? Are we
maintaining different branches for OOB build envs. right now?
*b. Everything can't be gconfable?

There has to be some level of agreement between uy and au on features
otherwise dextrose starts to lose it's identity.

If we can address these challenges, then it's a +1 for me. The commit
access policies should be reviewed once the switch is made.

Cheers,
Anish