[Dextrose] Harmonising network proxy settings

Ajay Garg ajay at activitycentral.com
Tue Nov 27 01:21:32 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 4:56 AM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
<sridhar at laptop.org.au>wrote:

> On 22 November 2012 17:35, Ajay Garg <ajay at activitycentral.com> wrote:
> >
> > [Only replying to dextrose-list, so that OLPC and Sugar upstream guys
> may provide an independent feedback]
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Sridhar Dhanapalan <
> sridhar at laptop.org.au> wrote:
> >>
> >> We've modified this behaviour in our builds to write the Manual
> >> proxy setting to the http_proxy environment variable so that software
> >> like yum (which we rely upon for OS updates), Software Update and Get
> >> Books can function.
> >>
> >> In our schools it is common to require proxy authentication to get
> >> online, often with a PAC/WPAD file that prompts the user for
> >> credentials when they try and access a Web page. In these schools,
> >> they must specify the proxy twice - the Manual one first and then the
> >> Automatic.
> >

> > You mean both "Manual" and "Automatic" modes are working at once? As far
> as I know, that's impossible.
> >
> > I am sure I am not understanding this correctly :-\
>
> The Manual setting is also written to the the http_proxy environment
> variable. That fixes connectivity for the OS and most activities. If
> you set an Automatic proxy after that, that setting gets priority for
> Browse (and anything else that looks at gconf/dconf). This is
> important because the PAC/WPAD file includes a prompt for
> authentication that allows greater access on the Web.

Hmm..
That means it is a UI-inconsistency; UI should reflect the fact that BOTH
"manual"- and "automatic"- proxy configurations are at work.

May be condense the "Manual" and "Automatic" modes into one, leaving it to
the user to ensure that he fills up the settings in a compatible and
complete manner, all at one go?

If yes,

    *
    This would be a UI-consistency-improvement, even over the way Gnome
does it.

    *
    This is perfectly doable :-)

    *
    Would add to the TODO-list for March (in a doable manner).

Regards,

Ajay Garg
Dextrose Developer
Activity Central: http://activitycentral.com