[Dextrose] How to prevent suspending XO-1?

Anish Mangal anish at activitycentral.com
Wed May 2 13:55:27 EDT 2012

On 05/02/2012 11:17 PM, Ajay Garg wrote:

> [...]
> <anish at activitycentral.com <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com>>
> wrote:
>
> On Wed 02 May 2012 10:53:28 PM IST, Ajay Garg wrote:
>

>> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:37 PM, Anish Mangal
>> <anish at activitycentral.com <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com>
> <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com
> <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com>>> wrote:

>> On Wed 02 May 2012 10:32:19 PM IST, Ajay Garg wrote:
>>> Ok, Thanks.
>>>
>>> a) How to confirm this, that automatic suspension is disabled?
>>>

>> IIRC. *ONLY* on the XO-1
>

>> :D :D
>
>> Ya, that's ok. I meant, codewise.
>

>>> b) It would be better if the suspension is disabled even
>>> during lid closing, as that could be a frequent case to
>>> preserve
> physical
>>> space.
>>>

>> Why would disabling suspend save physical space? Sorry, I don't
>> understand.
>

>> I meant, that closing the lid would preserver space.
>

>>> c) The power-button case can be lived with.
>>>

>> Is this related to mesh icons reappearing after suspend, or
> there is a
>> different reason?
>
>> Note, We _want_ to be able to suspend using lid-closing or power
>> button. This significantly increases the battery life of the
> laptops,
>> and they dont require frequent recharging.
>
>> The only reason why active power management (i.e. screen
>> dimming, screen blanking out, wifi shutdown, suspend) is disabled
>> on
> the XO-1
>> is because it doesn't work reliably enough. I think the normal
>> suspend-resume cycle works well though (save for the mesh issue)
>

>> Well, that is the problem at first place - after suspend, no
>> icons (wireless/mesh-if-at-all) occur (ad-hoc do).
>

>>> May be Jerry can comment?
>>>

>>> Regards, Ajay
>>>
>>> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:25 PM, Anish Mangal
>>> <anish at activitycentral.com
> <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com>
> <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com
> <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com>>
>> <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com
> <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com>
> <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com
> <mailto:anish at activitycentral.com>>>>
>>> wrote:

>>> AFAIK, active power management on the XO-1 is disabled. This
> means
>>> that the XO won't go into suspend if left idle.
>>>
>>> However, pressing the power button or closing the lid will
>>> take the laptop in suspend, which is the intended behavior.
>>>

> If we can't find a way to disable mesh after suspend without
> crashing NetworkManager, the _workaround_ would be to live with the
> mesh icons in neighbourhood view, not disable suspend!
>

>> Well, then what would be the difference from the case when the
>> mesh-icons are not shown at all in neighborhood view? Packet
>> forwarding would be happening in this case too.

What I'm trying to stress (as I mentioned in the other thread as well)
is that the core issue is disabling mesh at the hardware level. If we
can't fix that, we look for alternatives.

>> So, to summarize, following options are possible :::
>

>> a) Do not disable mesh at hardware level. BUT Stop listening to
>> NM events from the mesh-device PLUS stop showing mesh-icons in
>> the neighborhood view.
>
>> Caveat : Packet forwarding still happpens (though I have put the
>> query as to why this would happen, even though no user has joined
>> any
> mesh-channel.)

Mesh topology is like a 'repeater'. It will just catch whatever
packets are in the air and retransmit them. This was thought of as a
good idea to increase the range of the network spread across many XO's
in an area. The downside was that the RF-band got saturated with many
packets, so we had to disable the thing altogether.

So, the way I would go about it would be:

1. Try to find a way to disable mesh after suspend

2. If we can't find a way to do 1., stop showing the mesh icons (will
be done at OOB level)

However, I would put most of my efforts in trying to find the proper
solution (1.)