[Dextrose] Sugar Hexoquinasa 1 Technical Team

Sebastian Silva sebastian at somosazucar.org
Mon Oct 31 14:17:03 EDT 2011

Hi Team,
In alignment with the promotion of the Sugar Camp Lima 2011 event,
I'm announcing the development of a new operating system image
customized for the children of the Puno region of Peru.

Main focus for this edition will be the localization to two native languages,
content curation and some user experience tweaks (suggestions and
additional contributions are welcome).

Since some of us are oftentimes offline, I've setup an initial repository
at http://git.sugarlabs.org/hexokinase/hexokinase to contain the Bugs
Everywhere distributed bug tracking database.

With Bernie's guidance I managed to build a Dextrose-3 based build.
Quidam has been helping us patching Trisquel's locale to include Quechua
and Aymara (luckily it seems patching eglibc wasn't necessary).

Next up I'll need to (1) learn how to patch locales for Dextrose 3 to
include Quechua and Aymara and (2) learn how to produce a
customized Trisquel 5 build.

I would appreciate if the Dextrose team can help out with (1) and
the Trisquel team with (2). It is important to note that Hexoquinasa
is not a fork of either project but a methodology for building and
supporting customized images.

I'm building using VirtualBox for the F14 build box.
I'll transfer this vm to a faster computer at Escuelab for the team in
Lima to play with at our next meeting and we'll post alpha images for
the Puno team to start testing.

I've copied our existing technical team in Lima and Puno as well as
Quidam from Trisquel.

I would like to continue the discussion about how to achieve our technical
goals in the dextrose@ mailing list, it would be nice for you to subscribe.

Also, Sugar Camp Lima 2011 is going to be the major sprint for the
building of the first Release Candidate. We won't declare a stable release
until we sync with Dextrose and Trisquel who will release very soon too.
We expect to work upstream.

I would like to extend you a heartfelt invitation to join us in this community
effort.

Regards,
--
Sebastian Silva