[Dextrose] Regarding my OLPC XS Wishlist

mokurai at earthtreasury.org mokurai at earthtreasury.org
Sat May 28 02:46:33 EDT 2011

Copying to server-devel, which it is claimed is the place for discussing
XS development. Should we take this whole conversation there?

Aleksei, thank you for your comments. I have copied them to
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Nepal_Wish_List#Aleksey_Lim

I would assume that we should put all of these ideas into feature requests
for the XS, but I don't see an issue tracker for it. Should we create one?

On Fri, May 27, 2011 6:31 pm, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 11:39:54AM -0400, Bernie Innocenti wrote:
>> On Fri, 2011-05-27 at 21:14 +0545, Abhishek Singh wrote:
>> > Dear All,
>> > I've put down my OLPC XS wishlist at
>> > http://asingh.com.np/blog/olpc-xs-my-wishlist/ . Please comment upon
>> it.
>> >
>> > Thank You.
>>
>> Thank you! Forwarding this to the Dextrose list as well.
>
> I've also CCed guys who do XS work in .au
>
> Abhishek: thanks for sharing your wishlist.
>
> From my side, I see the whole picture in case of school server like
> having:
>
> * sugar-server[1], the base of any school server. it doesn't provide
>   stuff like moodle (too complicated to be basic) or puppet (useless on
>   this level, since configuring sugar-server should be just install
>   packages/iso and do some automatic work, the higher levels might user
>   puppet or so)
> * any additional services that might be useful in some deployments but
>   are not basic, eg, moodle or wiki.
>   sugar-server should provide needed info via reliable API for these
>   services.
>   in my mind, such services might be formed as separate projects (like
>   sugar-server-moodle) to make it possible to attach it on purpose
>   (there might be useful configuration tool that is being used in
>   sugar-server, mace[2]).
> * final products that include components on purpose (but sugar-server is
>   a required one). It is entirely depends on local needs.
>
> My own running though your wishlist keeping in mind sugar-server plans:
>
> 1) Porting XS to new version of Fedora
>    sugar-server will be build on OBS[3] for distros that are being used
>    in the field (deb or/and rpm based).
>    So, downstream can just use these packages, add new one and create
>    the final product (there is an idea to teach OBS to create isos for
>    not only SUSE, obs is designed originally)
>
> 2) Support for multiple architecture
>    see the 1), as well for arches
>
> 3) Basic Self Tests
>    I'm gathering all OLPC XS packages/services/scripts to one project,
>    one package, one CLI tool. unittest for this stuff is a from-scratch
>    decision.
>    Also, having additional projects like sugar-server-moodle, let people
>    concentrate, thus test better (including auto tests) this exact
>    module.
>
> 4) Inclusion of new packages
>    Entirely not sugar-server level
>
> 5) Content Updates
>    no ideas, but would be useful (thanks to new modular desing)

I think that I am missing something here.

--
Edward Mokurai
(默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر