[Dextrose] [Sugar-devel] [ANNOUNCE] OLPC OS 10.1.3 final release

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Mon Jan 17 23:46:14 EST 2011

Some things we may want to steal for Dextrose 2 or Dextrose 3:

On Sun, 2011-01-16 at 11:59 +0100, Simon Schampijer wrote:

> ==New features==
>
> ===Collaboration "under a tree" on XO-1.5===
> We have significantly improved collaboration when XO-1.5 is used with no
> Access Points available ("under a tree"). The Neighborhood View now
> shows three default Ad-hoc networks (for channels 1, 6, and 11) in
> user-friendly icons, and XOs will auto-connect without user
> intervention. This behavior is similar to the "mesh" behavior on XO-1.

Already have.

> ===Sharing/Backup Journal entries using a mass storage device===
> You may now share Journal entries with another learner using a [[USB
> drive]] or SD card. The user experience is: Martin wants to give a
> picture he has been drawing to Simon. He plugs in his USB drive and
> copies the Journal entry on the drive. Simon plugs in Martin's drive in
> his laptop. The entry will be shown with Martin's XO color on the drive.
> Simon copies Martin's entry into his Journal.
>
> You can use this feature to backup Journal entries to a USB drive or SD
> card.

Want.

> ===Connect your XO to external projectors and monitors===
> We have added support for USB2VGA adapters. You can now connect an XO to
> a projector over a USB2VGA adapter and project what is on your XO screen
> onto a screen or for many people to see.

Want.

> ===Screen Rotation on XO-1.5===
> On XO-1.5 it is now possible to rotate the screen using the 'rotate'
> button. This allows learners to use the XO in ebook mode.

Want (we probably already have all the pieces)

> ===Protected Activities Support===
> In this build certain activities are protected from being deleted by
> accident. In the activity list in the home view the erase option is
> disabled for those. Protected activities are: Browse, Terminal, Log,
> Write, ImageViewer and Record.

Have.

> ===Better interaction between GNOME and Sugar===
> Switching between Sugar and GNOME user interfaces is smoother. Changes
> of settings in GNOME now do not affect Sugar, and vice-versa.

Want.

> The ~/Activities directory is now hidden from the user in GNOME, to
> prevent accidental deletions that could harm Sugar. The networking
> settings are now synchronized so enabling/disabling networking is unified.

Want.

> Users can now change GNOME panels and fonts without risk of breaking
> GNOME -- invalid settings are reset on restart.

Want.

> The dialog to set a GNOME keyring password when connecting to a secure
> wireless network has been disabled.

Want.

> ===Browse===
> A home button has been added into the Browse toolbar. The button returns
> to the home page, where important links are.

Have?

> A busy cursor has been added for when a page is loading. This was
> present in 8.2.1 but missing from 10.1.2.

Want.

> Finally, previews for downloaded images have been added, so that the
> Journal will show appropriate thumbnails of downloaded images.

Want.

(for the above, we probably need to rebase our Browse patches on the
latest Browse on ASLO)

> ===Paint===
> The Paint activity has been improved a lot:
>
> * The cursor has been enhanced and realigned,
> * Text tool has been improved
> * New filters: invert colors and mirror effects
> * Tool size and shape are shown
> * Improvements to copy and paste

Have

> ===Read===
> Scrolling has been improved.  The up and down directional keypad to the
> left of the XO display will now scroll, which is especially useful if
> the laptop is in ebook mode. Using the fn key with the up and down arrow
> keys will now scroll by page.

Not sure we have this. Is it also in the 0.88 version of Read?

> ===Write===
> You can now paste images into Write. Images can be copied from Browse,
> Paint or Write. You can now put images into tables and export to PDF.
>
> The style list has been reordered to place paragraph text styles before
> heading styles.

Ditto.

> ===Wikipedia===
> Page loading has been sped up and several smaller fixes made.

Want?

> ===Scratch===
> A new camera plugin adds importing from camera on XO-1.

Probably have.

> ===Activity Updates===
> We included the latest versions of Calculate, Colors, Distance, Etoys,
> Help, InfoSlicer, Jukebox, Labyrinth, Memorize, Physics, Pippy, Turtle
> Art and Typing Turtle.

Have.

> ===System Lid Behavior===
> When the lid is closed on the XO, the laptop will suspend its operations
> and turn off the screen.  Historically re-opening the lid has turned on
> the screen and woken up the laptop for normal use.  In order to avoid a
> problem where stacked XO units may accidentally turn each other back on,
> this wake-up behavior has been disabled.  To wake up the laptop from
> suspend press the power button once.

Probably have already (is the fix in powerd?).