[Dextrose] [AC Update] The awkwardness of Adolescents.

David Farning dfarning at activitycentral.com
Tue Feb 22 21:17:56 EST 2011

Over the past couple of weeks Activity Central has started to feel
different. The only way I can think to describe it is adolescent
awkwardness:) Internally we are growing quickly. Externally our
interactions with customers and partners are shifting. We are having
unexplainable mood swings.  While all this is happening, we are trying
to define ourself as an organization.  It is pretty funny if you can
step back and take a look... but it takes frequent steps back to avoid
teen angst.

Growing is interesting. We have been working with talented and
passionate individual to form a cohesive team. We have the Feedback,
Fix, Finished Product mantra internalized.  It is time for a new
mantra, "What are the critical tasks?"  On any given day, we have
millions of things we can do, both as individuals and a company.
Based on constraints of time and money, we need to select a few
critical tasks.

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been finding myself asking,
'What are your critical tasks?' over and over.  hmmm. If one finds
themselves writing the same code over and over they try to clean it up
and abstract it into a method, class, or module. Over the next couple
of weeks you will hear me asking what are your critical tasks for the
week, month, and 6 months. Then we will work to align those tasks with
the critical tasks for the Activity Central.

A couple of things to keep in mind as we go through this process:
1. It is iterative. These critical tasks will shift as we add
projects, customers, and gain a better understanding of how we can
help.
2. They tasks will change. Even though we are talking about critical
tasks for 6 months, these tasks will change. No battle plan survives
initial contact, the same is true with business plans. The true value
of the plan is the thought that goes into making it.
3. There is a very good chance that I will ask you to adjust your
critical task list to align with Activity Central's overall task list.
This is not to say that your critical tasks are not just as important
or valuable as Activity Central's. As a company we need to align our
tasks for maximum benefit to our customers.

david