[Dextrose] [AC UPDATE] tch's edition

Pablo Flores pflores at activitycentral.com
Tue Feb 8 09:02:26 EST 2011

Excellent update! Really!

Lots of thoughts came to my mind reading the update and thinking: how could
we help a new deployment?

Let me just mention some recommendations I would give:
- Document the materials and processes used by formadores. That's extremely
important information that mostly repeats from one deployment to the other.
- Train the formadores to use collaborative platforms. If they share some of
their knowledge, it will be much easier to continue expansion.
- Make a group for working with the community (out of the school).
Sensibilize parents about what they can do with the computers and Internet
access. Find "reference parents" that could help to find out what's
happening in the community before and after the deployment.
- Try to involve some volunteers in laptops giving. Everyone can help in
logisitic stuff. However, it's important letting the teachers be the ones
that give the laptops to the children. This is very important for involving
teachers positively (BTW, a golden rule: give the laptops to the teachers 3
months before giving them to the children).
- Get in touch with local NGOs and other social organizations. They are
always concerned with local development and can put people to help.
- Try to find local companies or professionals to give first level technical
support. Try to decentralize as much as possible.
- Take the opportunity to find new local software developers. Technical
workshops open to people with different skill levels is a good starting.
- Encourage universities to make field-work projects. Teachers and students
from all careers can be helpful.

Ok, there are many other points, but let's keep the list short for the
moment.
At some point, this explains why I find it so important to make good web
tools for the community as a whole. There's a lot of experience around these
subjects that is discouragingly spread around the web.

Regards,
Pablo Flores
Community Architect,
activitycentral.com