[Dextrose] Dextrose and Firmware q2e42

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Feb 3 11:25:09 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-01 at 16:25 -0200, Daniel Castelo wrote:
> We have delivered dextrose 1.0 for our XO 1.5 machines, we want to
> release this version to XO 1.0 one's, but based on some bad
> experiences that we had in the past we aren't allowed to update the
> firmware (problems with some machines that remained broken after the
> process).

Indeed, I have observed one such case in Paraguay (out of 4500 upgraded
machines).

> The question is, if we have the firmware q2e42 installed, will
> dextrose (version 1) run properly in this machines?

I can't check right now what the minimum OFW version number is, but we
need a recent version which enables the DMI BIOS tables in order to
configure the keyboard correctly.

This is because olpc-utils changed to use HAL to configure the keyboard.
See /etc/hal/fdi/information/30-keymap-olpc.fdi . You could easily patch
olpc-utils to setup the keyboard from /etc/init.d/olpc-configure.

You may also want at least q2e45 to fix a bug which causes laptops to
hang occasionally during boot:

  http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/9100