[Dextrose] Sugar-Scaling

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Mon Aug 29 10:56:53 EDT 2011

On Mon, 2011-08-29 at 11:40 -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> it's not only about performance.
> What will you do with a icon with a circle if you apply different
> scales? Will have a oval?
> All the icons will be deformed?
> Also, the JumPC have a different relation? really?

A separate X and Y scaling factor would make sense for display that
don't have a 1:1 aspect ratio, but I've not seen one of those in a long
time.

Activities should be written to scale their UI intelligently rather than
assuming a particular resolution or display shape. This is how all
desktop and mobile GUI applications are written, and I don't think
there's a shortcut.

If we want to encourage activity developers to write resolution
independent GUIs, the sugar-emulator opens in 800x600 by default. If
want activities to work with an even smaller 800x480 display, we could
make it the default.

However, if we make the default too awkward most developers will end up
forcing the resolution of the emulator to 1200x900, thus defeating the
purpose of our default setting.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team