[Dextrose] Missing gettext dependency needed for localised activities

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Sep 21 04:16:36 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-20 at 15:05 +0100, Gary Martin wrote:

> Fair enough, I don't have packaging experience in the rest of the
> distro world. However it seems like a fail when considered in a Sugar
> world view. A teacher with Sugar installed, somewhere off the net, can
> potentially take any activity and add their own language. If we start
> only shipping the binary locale files you remove that option.

The workflow in all Linux distros is that a user would have to take the
source package, make the necessary modifications and rebuild a binary
out of it.

The source == binary identity is a unique featore of the xo bundle
format. It's also unsupportable for most non-trivial applications or
applications not written in Python.

> > But on Dextrose, all activities come from xo bundles, not distro
> > packages.
>
> Hmm, David suggested differently in his recent email about finding
> activity source packages, step 1 was listed as checking to see if
> there was already a distro package. I tried to check this on an XO1 I
> was just testing "1dx2 Dextrose 2 International" on, unfortunately it
> will not connect to a wireless access point so I can't get far with
> yum to check (don't have the foo to find what packages were installed
> via yum or RPM without getting it online).

I think David was referring to Ubuntu Sugar Remix, not Dextrose.

USR and SoaS do it the Linux way: all activities are repackaged natively
so they can be installed, removed and upgraded consistently with the
rest of the system. However, Sugar doesn't provide a PackageKit UI for
end-users, which is why we had to stick with xo bundles for Dextrose.

> Just to confirm, 1dx2 Dextrose 2 International is missing gettext, and
> a number of the activity bundles I looked into were missing locale
> directories, I did notice that Labyrinth had a locale directory, but
> I'm guessing that may be because you got someone else to add a label
> feature and make an official release (something I've been considering
> reverting to be honest, but just haven't had the time).

I checked a few random bundles and they all seem to have a locale
directory alongside the po directory.

But anyway, I'm in favor of shipping any developer tools that may be
needed to create custom bundles, including gettext.