[Dextrose] USR.sl.org login troble Re: ssh public key

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Sat Oct 30 18:31:55 EDT 2010

For faster service next time please write to sysadmin at sugarlabs.org , so
any one of SMparrish, silbe or rgs can answer.

On Sat, 2010-10-30 at 07:51 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> Bernie,
> Can you take a look at the ssh login for usr.sugarlabs.org?
>
> I gave arun sudo access to the vm the other day todo USR builds.  Now,
> we can not log in via ssh. we get the following error.

I could login from the console. This is quite odd:

  Oct 30 18:09:08 usr sshd[17261]: fatal: Missing privilege separation directory: /var/run/sshd

This (empty) directory would normally belong to openssh-server, which
was installed. I reinstalled the package to create the directory, but
I'm mystified why it had disappeared in the first place.

I'm auditing for rootkits etc. Please remind all users to keep their ssh
keys password-protected on disk and adopt basic security practices to
protect their accounts, such as not using Windows, etc.