[Dextrose] Dextrose TO DO wiki page- Feedback from Uruguay

Daniel Castelo dcastelo at plan.ceibal.edu.uy
Fri Oct 29 09:10:58 EDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 29, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at googlemail.com>wrote:

> On 27 Oct 2010, at 18:30, Daniel Castelo wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> > Here in Uruguay we were analyzing the
> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Dextrose/TODO wiki page.
> > Based on the comments of the teachers trainers we prioritized the TO DO
> List and we have some feature/improves that we could add to this page:
> >
> > The features that we prioritize are:
> >       • Bidirectional Journal gateway for Gnome (torello, jasg)
> >       • OS: "Panic key" to restore default settings for GNOME and Sugar
> >       • Rainbow
> >       • Multiple item selection in the journal
>
> Yea! It's been on the todo list for a long time, but lest make sure we
> don't make the Journal even more complicated for kids to use in the common
> case. I mentioned in another thread that in Apple's iPad UI designs they
> have a nice solution for this where by in a list view you often have an
> "edit" button that changes the list UI behaviour so that it reveals multiple
> item selection check boxes, and quick delete buttons.
>
> >       • 3G connection sharing in Sugar (tch)
> > We also need/want this sugar features:
> >       • Print Support
>
> There was a Gsoc for this done a while back, but to solve this for the
> general case seems to take up a huge amount of space for the various printer
> definitions, fine for a machine with a large hard drive but not great for an
> XO. I think the project ended up as a way to transfer a document to a Moodle
> server print queue, so that a teacher could be responsible for the
> potentially expensive use of such a device in a class:
>
>        http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Print_Support

Yes, I remember that I have tested this feature and I've talked with the
authors of this project in the past. I agree that in class the use of moodle
will be usefull. But the use of case "Printing in home" could be usefull too
(although it hasn't high priority)

> >       • Improve the Software Update Feature (for example that updater
> suggest the installation of activities that have been deleted).
> >       • The possibility of copy a journal entry to a pen drive (and
> viceversa) using the right click button. For example with a sub menu in the
> "copy" option.
>
> Sounds reasonable "Copy to --> my_USB" a little like the "Send to -->
> my_friend". We do need to resolve the question, is Sugar to Sugar transfer
> the common case, or is it Sugar to other PC/Mac/Gnu-Linux. Things are a bit
> of a mess with regard to storing all the Sugar metadata with the copy so
> that the item on the USB remains identical as it moves from Sugar to Sugar,
> at the moment it is a compromise to try and make the copy as cross platform
> as possible so that another OS can easily open the file on the USB. The
> other extreme is the JEB format, where the copied file is bundled up along
> with it's metadata into a single zip like file where only another Sugar
> could easily open it again.
>
> >       • Modify Sugar for Orca use
>
> This Orca?
>
>        http://orca-robotics.sourceforge.net/

No, this one: http://live.gnome.org/Orca
Is related to accesibility features.

> > Activities issues:
> >       •     Add a tooltip to the toolbar buttons that activate
> "secondary" toolbars (this happen in the activities Write and Paint for
> example).

This issues are reported by our "teacher trainers", they are teachers with
technicall knowledge. We haven't checked this two issues before.

> Could you describe this a little more? I thought you were referring to the
> new toolbar design where some icons with a small 'v' below expose a
> secondary palette, but Paint has not yet had these added yet so I am a
> little confused.

Yes, are this icons with the "v" below. I've reproduced this in Write. This
is not valid for Paint.

> FWIW: During the design phase of the new toolbars, showing a text tooltip
> was one aspect we didn't have a working design for as mouse hover is already
> used to temporally expose a secondary panel. There were some thoughts on
> having a staggered reveal of first the help hint text, and then the full
> secondary toolbar, but we were concerned the tooltip text pop-up would still
> frequently get in the way of tool use.
>
> >       •     Add bookmarks in Browse.
>
> Could you describe this a little more? Browse supports making favourite
> pages (which can then be shared), using different Journal Browse sessions
> helps organise groups of frequently used sites. I use a few Browse Journal
> entries that I use in different browsing workflows; for example I have one
> Brows session where I've booked marked wiki.sugarlabs.org pages that I
> frequently tinker with.

I didn't check it. Is great! Sorry for the report.

> Regards,
> --Gary

Thanks for your answers.

> > Our plan is work in some of this features. But this feedback could help
> developers to choose a feature for work.
> >
> > Regards.
> >
> > _________________
> >
> > Ing. Daniel Castelo
> > Plan Ceibal - Área Técnica