[Dextrose] Dextrose TO DO wiki page- Feedback from Uruguay

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 29 08:24:47 EDT 2010

On 27 Oct 2010, at 18:30, Daniel Castelo wrote:

> Hi!
> Here in Uruguay we were analyzing the http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Dextrose/TODO wiki page.
> Based on the comments of the teachers trainers we prioritized the TO DO List and we have some feature/improves that we could add to this page:
>
> The features that we prioritize are:
> 	• Bidirectional Journal gateway for Gnome (torello, jasg)
> 	• OS: "Panic key" to restore default settings for GNOME and Sugar
> 	• Rainbow
> 	• Multiple item selection in the journal

Yea! It's been on the todo list for a long time, but lest make sure we don't make the Journal even more complicated for kids to use in the common case. I mentioned in another thread that in Apple's iPad UI designs they have a nice solution for this where by in a list view you often have an "edit" button that changes the list UI behaviour so that it reveals multiple item selection check boxes, and quick delete buttons.

> 	• 3G connection sharing in Sugar (tch)
> We also need/want this sugar features:
> 	• Print Support

There was a Gsoc for this done a while back, but to solve this for the general case seems to take up a huge amount of space for the various printer definitions, fine for a machine with a large hard drive but not great for an XO. I think the project ended up as a way to transfer a document to a Moodle server print queue, so that a teacher could be responsible for the potentially expensive use of such a device in a class:

	http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Print_Support

> 	• Improve the Software Update Feature (for example that updater suggest the installation of activities that have been deleted).
> 	• The possibility of copy a journal entry to a pen drive (and viceversa) using the right click button. For example with a sub menu in the "copy" option.

Sounds reasonable "Copy to --> my_USB" a little like the "Send to --> my_friend". We do need to resolve the question, is Sugar to Sugar transfer the common case, or is it Sugar to other PC/Mac/Gnu-Linux. Things are a bit of a mess with regard to storing all the Sugar metadata with the copy so that the item on the USB remains identical as it moves from Sugar to Sugar, at the moment it is a compromise to try and make the copy as cross platform as possible so that another OS can easily open the file on the USB. The other extreme is the JEB format, where the copied file is bundled up along with it's metadata into a single zip like file where only another Sugar could easily open it again.

> 	• Modify Sugar for Orca use

This Orca?

	http://orca-robotics.sourceforge.net/

> Activities issues:
> 	•     Add a tooltip to the toolbar buttons that activate "secondary" toolbars (this happen in the activities Write and Paint for example).

Could you describe this a little more? I thought you were referring to the new toolbar design where some icons with a small 'v' below expose a secondary palette, but Paint has not yet had these added yet so I am a little confused.

FWIW: During the design phase of the new toolbars, showing a text tooltip was one aspect we didn't have a working design for as mouse hover is already used to temporally expose a secondary panel. There were some thoughts on having a staggered reveal of first the help hint text, and then the full secondary toolbar, but we were concerned the tooltip text pop-up would still frequently get in the way of tool use.

> 	•     Add bookmarks in Browse.

Could you describe this a little more? Browse supports making favourite pages (which can then be shared), using different Journal Browse sessions helps organise groups of frequently used sites. I use a few Browse Journal entries that I use in different browsing workflows; for example I have one Brows session where I've booked marked wiki.sugarlabs.org pages that I frequently tinker with.

Regards,
--Gary