[Dextrose] upgrading XOs

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Thu Oct 28 20:15:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, 2010-10-27 at 20:09 -0500, David Farning wrote:
> At the risk of sounding really stupid....
>
> When upgrading to dextrose why don't we use 'yum update' to update the
> the core sugar package?  That seems simpler then carrying around a usb
> stick and disrupting class.

I use yum all the time for development. To save a lot of time, I do:

   yum --disablerepo=fedora --disablerepo=updates update

We *could* setup a cron job that runs yum to upgrade the system. In
fact, fedora already provides similar functionality by installing the
package yum-updatesd.

Can we do this for Dextrose? I'm not sure. yum uses a lot of memory and
could fail in the middle of an update, leaving the machine in an
inconsistent state. In practice, the first problem is mitigated by
disabling the fedora repositories and the second problem might not be
serious with small updates.

Another problem with yum-updatesd is that it's designed as a
long-running daemon which wastes memory all the time. Perhaps it can be
run as a cronjob too. If someone (smparrish?) has time to look into it,
perhaps we could start experimenting with it in the next builds.