[Dextrose] Dextrose version naming

Sascha Silbe sascha-ml-reply-to-2010-3 at silbe.org
Fri Nov 12 14:17:24 EST 2010

Excerpts from Bernie Innocenti's message of Fri Nov 12 19:01:46 +0100 2010:

> Users seem to be confused:
>
>  http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=4903.msg32687#msg32687
>
> What can we do about it? The 8 character limit imposed by OFW does not
> help...

How about moving the dextrose part of the name before the build number,
in place of "os"? Assuming we want 4-digit build numbers to be future
proof, we can use 4 characters for the product name even within the 8.3
limit (*). DEXT, DXTR, DOSE, XTRO, whatever, take your pick.
If we want to do a custom build for some reason we can use different
prefixes, e.g. PGUY.

Sascha

(*) What's the reason for that, BTW? Avoiding the FAT patent minefield?
--
http://sascha.silbe.org/
http://www.infra-silbe.de/