[Dextrose] [Systems] Recycling VMs

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Nov 3 11:25:21 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 23:09 +0000, Aleksey Lim wrote:
> As was laready said on irc, better to avoid having builders on the same
> VM w/ services like jabber.sl.o. And since bazaar needs builders as
> well, we can use dextrose vm for bazaar builders (and giving me access
> there).

Well, I've been thinking about it and, while separating builders seems
to make perfect sense, in practice it's actually WORSE for us.

Support for scheduling priorities in libvirt is still unfinished, so
virtual machines running alongside on the same host will compete for
resources.

On the other hand, if we run builder processes on the same virtual
machine, we can control their resource usage accurately with ionice and
nice.

Another possibility would be running jita and dextrose on different
hosts, be we have only two hosts and one of them (treehouse) is already
saturated because of ASLO.

So, until we get more capacity, the best compromise seems to be running
the builders directly on jita. And maybe kill the dextrose VM to
conserve resources on treehouse.