[Dextrose] Py roadmap: updater

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Wed Dec 15 23:57:06 EST 2010

On Wed, 2010-12-15 at 19:19 -0300, Roberto Rodriguez Alcala wrote:

> Bernie, I think that the idea is the same, but we're just putting
> aside the USB stick, and the logitics involved in provide and recover
> them, or checking that the students or teachers have one and know how
> to do the procedure. Anyway, USB o Repo we will require them to do the
> same update, I just think that the second method provide us a more
> effective method to reach a lot ( for now 37) of very distanced
> schools with a few qualified personal.

Sure, I agree that a yum repo is a superior way to deliver updates, but
it won't work the first time, until we reflash with a version that
includes the updater.

Note that the current builds also come with a controversial solution
called "olpc-update", which permits to update the whole system
atomically, using rsync and a forest of hardlinks in /versions. It has
the major flaw of requiring a lot of free space for major updates, but
if you're lucky it may work on most deployed laptops for the simple case
of switching from Dextrose 1 to Dextrose 2. Only a few MBs of packages
have changed.

> I had some feedback also, and some teachers doesn't want to do the
> update if they don't do the task with technical staff or they don't
> have a USB sticks.

Sure, automatic updates done in the background are a lot less
"traumatic" for the less technical users.