[Dextrose] Py roadmap: updater

Anish Mangal anish at sugarlabs.org
Tue Dec 14 10:05:12 EST 2010

Hi,

tch, roberto, carlos and me had a nice discussion on the road-map
ahead for the xo deployment in py. Among other things, we talked about
the way the xo's are going to be updated. The current method using
nand flash is 'painfully slow', and there *must* be a better way to
update the xo's.

tch tells me that work on the yum based updater is almost finished. We
have about 10 xo's here at the pyeduca office and can quickly get to
testing. It would be ideal, if we can have the yum updater pushed in
the dextrose mainline, so that we have plenty to time to test
extensively (and subsequently, not drop any bombs at caacupe ;-)). The
tentative date for the arrival of new xo's here is feb. Also, the
current 0.84 xo's will be updated to dextrose, so we should have a
stable yum updater before that.

Aside from this, I'm working on the microformat based updater (also a
requirement here). I guess it already works, but I'll have a better
version out very soon.

tch leaves for uy in 10 days, so we're hoping to start testing before that.

Anish | anish at sugarlabs.org