[Dextrose] Modifying 353 (xo-1) to apply the dev.laptop.org/ticket/10195 fix {XO Wifi Issues}

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Wed Dec 1 23:00:36 EST 2010

Pardon me if I missed the clarification, but if one XO unit is
consistently bad while another physical XO unit always works regardless
of their locations, this would suggest a hardware issue.

Your truncated "scan-wifi" output suggests that the bad XOs only were
working on Channel 1.  I'd be curious to see if the bad XOs could talk
to good XOs on all 3 mesh channels (1, 6 & 11) even if placed a decent
distance apart.  These appear as separate mesh icons you can connect to
manually in Sugar.

Although this may not apply to your case, from observation I have
noticed that "scan-wifi" provides very few (5-8, varying between runs)
results on an XO in an urban city, while "iwlist eth0 scan" typically
finds 25-40 Access Points per scan.  Run repetitively, the AP I want to
connect to often appears in a single iwlist scan, but often does not
appear as well.

Using an 802.11 monitoring tool on a non-XO finds 100 APs are nearby in
~15 seconds with that number going over 200 within a few minutes.  While
your environment may not be as extreme, if iwlist shows you have a lot
of APs in your area or you know there are other 2.4 GHz devices in use,
this may be part of the problem.

---
SJG