[Dcpr] DCPR activities at the IGF, and proposals for future engagement

Jyoti Panday jyoti.panday at eff.org
Mon Jan 15 02:38:15 EST 2018

Dear Nicolo and Luca,

Thank you for taking this forward and apologies for coming back on the
last date for expression of interest. I see that you have added the
developments on RTBF in India as a possible project. I have added my
name in the sub-group and wanted to take this opportunity to introduce
myself and provide some context ref India.

Dear Members,

As EFF's Asia Policy Fellow based out of New Delhi, I cover a range of
issues including but not limited to digital trade, intermediary
liability, censorship, privacy and freedom of expression.

Currently India is in the process of designing a data protection
framework and a committee headed by Justice Krishna has been appointed
to provide recommendations on the same.

The committee has released a white paper that covers several issues
related to the protection of personal information, global developments
and posed 243 unique questions  to stakeholders. One chapter of the
white paper covers RTBF and I have attached a summary in this email for
reference.

Last year in Puttaswamy the SC declared the right to privacy to be a
fundamental right. I am attaching a summary of Justice Kaul's opinion
which referred to the RTBF to provide more context.

Finally, the white paper also references the emerging jurisprudence on
the RTBF as courts across India deal with issue. A summary of the
Karnataka case referenced in the WP is summarised. In addition other
cases where the RTBF has been rejected or dismissed and other applicable
jurisprudence is also included.

EFF has raised the possibility of censoring lawful content that such a
right brings and we are working on providing inputs to the consultation.
It would be great if the platform brings together experts from other
regions to weigh-in on this.

The deadline for comments to the Srikrishna committee is 31st January,
2017. Please feel free to reach out to me for further clarifications or
info.

Last week, CIMA released "Information Not Found: The Right to Be
Forgotten as Emerging Threat to Media Freedom in the Digital Age" that
provides background to some of the key concerns related to application
of RTBF and maybe of interest.
https://www.cima.ned.org/publication/right-to-be-forgotten-threat-press-freedom-digital-age/

Jyoti.