[Dcpr] FW: Open letter to Google on RTBF

N. Zingales N.Zingales at uvt.nl
Sun May 10 15:51:03 EDT 2015

Dear DCPR members,

apologies for the cross-posting. I am writing to invite a reflection about an an issue that should be of interest for everyone on this list: what constitutes "responsible conduct" for a search engine that is given broad discretion to implement measures (such as de-referencing) with potentially detrimental impact on the public's right to access information? In particular, what degree of transparency should the general public expect from that search engine, given the crucial role it plays in ensuring the effectiveness of the right to privacy and freedom of expression?

Since these questions of social and moral (as opposed to legal) responsibility lie at the heart of this Dynamic Coalition's work, the attached letter (accompanied by the email below) is an opportunity for DCPR members to contribute to the initiation of an important discussion: that about the responsibility of the company in question to provide more granular statistics and better information about the way in which it is exercising such broad discretion.

In short, this letter aims to draw attention to the insufficient publicity of the measures undertaken by the search engine in question for the implementation of the ruling of the European Court of Justice in Google Spain v AEPD and Mario Costeja González.

The letter is now open to signature for the next 24 hours, you can just reach Julia at the address below if you intend to do so, specifying your title and affiliation.

Best regards,

Nicolo

Begin forwarded message: