[Sugar-news] Sugar Digest 2012-12-17

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 16:53:02 EST 2012

== Sugar Digest ==

1. Google Code In [1] continues at a rapid pace. So far, we have 49
participants working on more than 170 tasks (we continue to add more
tasks as the contest progresses over the next four weeks). Students
have done a great job with documentation, for example, there is now a
chapter in Make Your Own Sugar Activity that describes how to port
from GTK2 to GTK3 [2], a video introduction to Sugar on a Stick [3],
and a new Turtle Art introductory guide [4]. They have do a lot of
coding: contributions such as setting the background image on the
homepage [5]; improvements to activities [6, 7]. If you have
suggestions for projects--easy or hard--please don't hesitate to
contact me.

2. We are entering the oversight board election season. We have a nice
diversity of candidates to choose from this year [8], including some
of our key developers (one of whom has been instrumental not only in
writing code, but also in mentoring other developers and one whom grew
up with Sugar, bringing us the perspective of the Sugar user); a
pedagogist who has been leading a weekly on-line discussion about
Sugar with teachers and thought leaders [9-11]; a rabble rouser; and
two current members running for re-election. Ballots will be issued in
the next day or two. Please vote.

3. It is beautiful and free (libre) [12].

=== In the community ===

4. Explore a nice collection of Sugar Activity lesson plans for 1st
through 5th grade [13] designed for the OLPC Charlotte deployment.

5. Thanks to an initiative by Maria Elena, Sugar will be featured in a
summer course of the Polytechnic Faculty at UNA. Martin Abente will be
teaching the course. [14]

6. Mike Lee read my book on his XO [15].

=== Tech Talk ===

7. The latest from Guzmán Trindad: physics using TurtleBlocks and
Butia [16, 17].

8. Bug fixes continue to come in for Sugar 0.98.

=== Sugar Labs ===

Visit our planet [18] for more updates about Sugar and Sugar deployments.

[1] http://www.google-melange.com/gci/homepage/google/gci2012
[2] http://booki.flossmanuals.net/make-your-own-sugar-activities/_draft/_v/1.0/add_refinements_gtk3/
[3] http://www.google-melange.com/gci/work/download/google/gci2012/8006228?id=9001
[4] http://www.google-melange.com/gci/work/download/google/gci2012/7966208?id=17001