[Sugar-news] Sugar Digest 2011-10-18
walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 18:35:12 EDT 2011
== Sugar Digest ==
1. Daniel Drake has announced the second release candidate of the new OLPC
software release , which incorporates the latest Sugar bits. You can
download 'signed' images for testing from: [1-3]. The final release is
scheduled for 1 November.
2. OLPC OZ runs a discussion website on yammer.com for teachers working with
XOs in Australia. It is a nice source of feedback about Sugar and 1-to-1
laptop deployments in general. Recently, there was a posting that referenced
an OLPC News article about a lemon-battery project  by Sameer Verma.
There was also a tip of the hat to Guzman Trindad, a teacher in Uruguay, who
built a pulse meter . I am not sure how OLPC News missed all of the other
great work that Guzman has been doing  with Turtle Art and sensors 
and also the work of Tony Forster , who blogs  regularly about various
ways to engage children with simple sensor. His most recent posting is about
using the accelerometer on the XO 1.75 as a seismograph. Check it out.
3. While Guzman and Tony have been using the built-in sensors and simple
sensors plugged into the microphone port of the XO laptop, the Butia team in
Uruguay has been augmenting the XO with an Arduino board. The latest video
of their work is on YouTube . Be sure to watch past the 'Schwarzenegger'
robot to see the XO robot programmed in Turtle Art.
4. A few weeks ago, Team Sugarlabs participated in the Boston Hub on Wheels
bicycle tour (See Team Sugarlabs ). Dogi road with an XO attached to his
handlebars, but he wasn't running the Turtle Art odometer program.
5. We've passed six-million downloads on ASLO .
=== In the community ===
6. The SF Summit  is this coming weekend, 21-23 October.
7. The Prague Sugar Camp (Gtk3 Hackfest 2011 ) is next weekend, 28-30
8. Reminder: As a community member, it is important that your voice be
heard. One mechanism is for you to participate in our upcoming election: We
will be holding an election for three Sugar Labs oversight board (SLOB)
positions at the end of next month. If you are not already a ''member'' 
of Sugar Labs, please send your name and an explanation of your contribution
to Sugar Labs in an email to '''members at sugarlabs dot org'''. If you are
a member, please consider being a candidate  for one of the SLOB
=== Tech Talk ===
9. Rob Savoye has managed to build Gnash for ARM. He has made RPMs for the
XO 1.75 machine. To install his RPMs, add this .repo file to your XO:
name=Gnash Snapshot for Fedora $releasever
=== Sugar Labs ===
Gary Martin has generated a SOM  from the past few weeks of discussion
on the IAEP mailing list.
Visit our planet  for more updates about Sugar and Sugar deployments.
 http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/11.3.0 11.3.0
 http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:2011-Oct-8-14-som.jpg October
8th-14th (38 emails)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Community-news