[ASLO] [Sugar-devel] Activities added to GithHub

Tony Anderson tony at olenepal.org
Mon Apr 24 04:22:39 EDT 2017

Hi, James

You have to move to experience friction.  It this effort were not
important to the community, there wouldn't have been so much comment.
Had some members not been concerned that some stranger, an unqualified
senile newbie, was vandalizing the system, we would not have seen
comments like 'information was destroyed'. Even beginners know that
copying a file does not alter the original.

We might have seen a comment like 'The way you are creating repositories
from ASLO ignores the repositories on git.sugarlabs.org. This mean the
repositories you create do not have the history of git commits available
there. Please copy the repositories from git.sugarlabs.org where they
exist.'

Our two objectives are similar and mutually supporting.  Move all of the
repositories on git.sugarlabs.org to github so that it no longer needs
to be maintained. Make repositories on github for all of the activities
on activities.sugarlabs.org so that the 'developer hub' can be shut down
and that activities.sugarlabs.org site be simplified and made easier to
maintain.

Working as a team and community, we can decide what we want to do and
how it should be done. I have some time available and feel strongly that
activities.sugarlabs.org as the storehouse of the crown jewels needs
some serious attention.

ASLO (activities.sugarlabs.org) is our library of activities which users
can download and run with Sugar. In order not to discourage them, it is
important that these activities work on Sugar. This concern is led to
testing the activities with Ubuntu (showing less that half work).

ASLO is not an app store. We don't have apps, we have activities. We do
not and can not sell them.

Tony