[ASLO] SpaceWar and Tank Operation

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 09:22:03 EDT 2014

On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 9:10 AM, Sebastian Silva
<sebastian at fuentelibre.org> wrote:
> Agreed to disagree,
> In my understanding, as long as it's Free Software and not illegal for some
> reason, Sugar Labs ought to be able host it, almost as a matter of Free
> Speech except when/if it could harm our users/developers.

Sugar is not Debian. It is not catering to a general crowd. Our users
are children. We need to draw a line in the sand somewhere and our
policy was an attempt at that. What is open to debate is the policy
itself. If it is considered too restrictive (or unclear), then we
should discuss it.

> This is very much in line with a recent controversy over at Debian regarding
> the packaging of some visual novel games with inappropriate content.
>
> See "FTPMaster position statement about package contents"
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2014/03/msg00011.html
> But that is really different from these two cases, in that it involves
> explicit (cartoon) youth pornography.
>
> Otherwise, we should really avoid the "Save the children, censor videogames"
> crowd. Madness lies here.
>
> Also, one of them was over 80 days in the queue, the other 20, so
> modifications were not forthcoming and it's a shame to withold fun software
> from kids.

We have added more moderates over the past few months. I think we are
getting better about the queue. I was unaware that there was things in
there that had not been discussed with the maintainers.

> That said, if you had already an agreement with the respective activity
> authors to withold the software, then I was unknowingly out of line. Sorry.
>
> Hopefully we can avoid ambiguity in these sort of issues in the future, as
> well as delays in publishing our software.
>
> cc. Alan the other affected author.

I'll work with Alan on this.

-walter