[ASLO] [NOMINATION] OOo4Kids-1

Aleksey Lim alsroot at member.fsf.org
Thu Dec 10 05:49:59 EST 2009

(CCed to sugar-devel@)

On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 11:26:09AM +0100, eric b wrote:
> Hi,

> >> As an addition benefit, such 0install packages could be useful for
> >> non-sugar users too(to install OOo4kid in non sugar environment).
> >

> I'm not sure to well understand the discussion, but, I'll try to add
> information :)
>
> First, we modified OOo4Kids to match with the Sugar environment
> ( currently, we provide the tree : OOo4Kids.activity/bin + activity +
> resources + MANIFEST and son )

Well, even if OOo4Kids won't start in non-sugar environment as is, it's
still useful for usgar to use 0install, at least downloading proper
binaries for local platform(other benefints could be sharing downloaded
OOo4Kids 100M archive in local network, it's still possible using native
0install tools but we can sugarize it only in shell, I guess).

> Second, if some application is able to install e.g. .tar.gz archive
> containing a languagepack, would be perfect to localize OOo4Kids.
> Really :)

I'll look to 0install, how it could be done there.

I'm going to complete 0install integration for activity standalone use case
this week, so any activity could have 0install python library in bundle
to let users download binaries/build-sources while first activity
startup.

--
Aleksey